Welcome Christian Educators
NAPCE exists to enhance the international teaching mission of the church through the cultivation of personal and professional growth of professors within the broad field of educational ministries.
Sneak Peak! NAPCE is already at work busily planning for our 2011 conference next October at Seattle Pacific University in Seattle, Washington, October 20-22, 2011. Speakers include Eugene Peterson and NAPCE's very own, Rick Yount. Check out the NAPCE 2011 Conference page for the latest information!
Message from the President
The roots of NAPCE can be traced back to 1940, and our mission has evolved over the years, but one thing remains central - our desire to further the teaching mission of the church by helping to grow its teachers. Our purpose can be summed up in a few short words:
- To promote research, writing and discussion which gives focus, direction, and theological integration to educational ministries
- To explore interdisciplinary issues germane to our mission
- To advance educational ministires in multicultural and cross-cultural settings
- To enhance teaching and research skills
- To cultivate the next generation of professors of educational ministries
- To provide opportunities for fellowship, networking, and mutual encouragement
NAPCE is here to serve your needs in whatever way we can. Connect and Enjoy!
Michael Anthony, President, NAPCE
NAPCE 2011 Conference - Seattle
This coming year, the 2011 conference will be held in Seattle, Washington from October 20-22, 2011. Complete details on the 2011 Conference, including details on registration and accommodations can be found HERE. If you have a high speed connection, take a look at the OUTSIDE and the INSIDE of our 2011 Conference Brochure. The files are quite large (37 MB) so be patient - they may take a while to download. There is also a Lower Resolution Version of the brochure available.
Exhibitors: Would you like to be an exhibitor at this year's conference? Each year we invite publishers of Christian education materials to participate with us in the conference. This is an outstanding opportunity for publishers to get the word out about their resources and it helps us as professors keep up-to-date on what is available. If you are interested in becoming an exhibitor at NAPCE's annual conference, contact our Executive Administrator by e-mail at [email protected]
What Happened Last Year? Are you interested in what the annual conference was like in 2010? Here are our Reflections on the 2010 Conference.
Looking forward to our next get together in 2011 for the NAPCE 2011 conference in Seattle!
NAPCE Message Board
Check this area for important information designed to keep you up-to-date on the latest things happening at NAPCE.
- Latest Newsletter: Get the latest NAPCE Newsletter from Fall 2010 - contains important Conference 2010 information.
- Call for Papers:NAPCE member James Estep is has issued a Call for Papers for inclusion in an upcoming issue of the Christian Education Journal for which he is Guest Editor. That issue will focus on "The Profession of Teaching Christrian Education". NAPCE members are encouraged to contribute to this special edition and contact James as soon as possible if you are interested in contributing to this special edition.
- Membership Renewal: You can renew your membership in NAPCE, even if you aren't able to attend this year's conference. Annual dues are only $75.00 (grad students, $45.00). Payment of dues entitles you to the benefits of membership, including subscription to Christian Education Journal, and also contributes to the continuing mission of NAPCE. For the first time, membership dues can be paid online easily by credit card on our Online Registration Page
- Jobs in Christian Education: Check out the latest job postings on the Employment web page. New faculty positions at Lancaster Bible College (one new position), Talbot (one new position), Gordon Conwell (three new positions), Regent University (two new positions), Seattle Pacific University, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Taylor University, and Grand Rapids Theological Seminary of Cornerstone University posted recently. Doctoral students who are members of NAPCE and are nearing the completion of their degree are also posting CVs there. Check out these great people and wonderful opportunities!
- Membership Data Update: NAPCE is currently in the process of updating its mailing lists and member's data. Please check the Member Directory page to ensure we have your latest data. If not, click here for our Update Form
- Children's Spirituality Conference: Attention NAPCE Members - The Society for Children's Spirituality: Christian Perpectives (SCS:CP) will be hosting its 4th Triennial Children's Spirituality Conference: Christian Perspectives June 10-13, 2012, at Concordia University, River Forest, IL. The mission of SCS:CP is to foster research and examine theory related to children's spiritual characteristics, growth, and experiences. Presenters and those who attend represent a wide variety of theological and denominational backgrounds. SCS:CP participants dialogue with one another, discuss theory, and share research related to children's spiritual development. Details about the conference can be found at www.childspirituality.org. The website also has a valuable Children's Spirituality Research Database for anyone doing research in this area. Click HERE for more details, including a Call for Papers (pdf).
- REA Annual Meeting: Brain Matters: The Religious Education Association (REA), an Association of Professors, Practitioners, and Researchers in Religious Education, is hosting its annual conference November 04-06, 2011 in Toronto. Thier theme for the 2011 annual meeting is "Brain Matters: Neuroscience, Creativity, and Diversity." Ten years after the original "Decade of the Brain," new insights in biology, neuroscience, and brain studies continue to inform and at times confound our understandings of cognition, creativity, and educational practice. Understanding the intersections between neuroscience, creativity and diversity will shape our conversations as we engage for three days together in Toronto Ontario. For more conference details, go to http://www.religiouseducation.net/rea2011/.
- Christian Education Journal: The Christian Education Journal is a peer-reviewed journal published twice a year by Talbot School of Theology, Biola University, in cooperation with the North American Professors of Christian Education (NAPCE). The journal is a wonderful way to keep up to date on the latest trends and ideas in the field of Christian education and presents an excellent opportunity for professional writing. NAPCE's very own Kevin Lawson serves as Editor for this journal and many other NAPCE members serve in other capacities.
- The Journal of Family Ministry: Articles from NAPCE members needed! Southern Seminary professor and NAPCE member Timothy Paul Jones is now editor of The Journal of Family Ministry. This publication is a re-launched recension of a widely read and respected periodical that was first published in 1987. Now, The Journal of Family Ministry is a peer-reviewed academic and professional journal, and NAPCE members are urged to submit articles to the journal for consideration. Read more....
Harold W. Burgess, Faculty Emeritus at Asbury Theological Seminary, passed away on March 28 at his home. Harold was a long standing member of NAPCE and his involvement over the years has added so much to our organization and our personal lives. Harold received his Master of Divinity degree from Asbury Theological Seminary in 1958, began his teaching ministry with the Seminary in 1978 as Professor of Christian Education and Pastoral Ministry, and officially retired 23 years later. He continued to teach occasional courses through 2007. Please pray for his wife Marcia and their two children. Visitation for Dr. Burgess is scheduled for Friday, April 1 from 6-9 p.m. and Saturday, April 2 from 9-11 a.m. at the Wilmore Free Methodist Church. The funeral is scheduled for Saturday, April 2 at 11 a.m. at the Wilmore Free Methodist church with interment following.
The NAPCE Message Board is updated frequently - check back here soon for the latest updates!